John P. Gismondi
“…trial attorney, bar association president, law school professor…”
These titles reflect the different aspects of John P. Gismondi’s distinguished legal career, a career marked by service to his clients, the legal profession, and the lawyers of tomorrow.
Mr. Gismondi attended college at the University of Pittsburgh and graduated with highest honors in 1975. In 1978, he graduated from the University’s School of Law where he was a member of the Law Review.
After serving a three-year term as a law clerk in federal district court, Mr. Gismondi entered private practice in 1981. Since that time, he has limited his practice to one area of the law—helping victims and their families in personal injury litigation that includes medical malpractice, automobile accidents, airplane accidents, consumer products, and a variety of other circumstances.
Mr. Gismondi has been a frequent interview guest on local television and his cases have been featured nationally on the ABC Evening News, Good Morning America, 20/20, The O’Reilly Factor, CNN, and in People Magazine and other publications.
In a national rating of lawyers’ abilities, the nation’s most-recognized reference source on lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, gives Mr. Gismondi an A/V rating, which is their highest rating for both legal ability and personal qualities such as reliability, diligence, and ethics. He has been named a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” and is listed in “Best Lawyers in America.” In 2013, “The Legal Intelligencer,” the nation’s oldest legal journal, honored him with a “Lifetime Achievement Award” for his impact on the legal profession in Pennsylvania over the past 20 years. He was the only lawyer from the Pittsburgh area so honored.
Attorney Gismondi has been chosen by his peers for many leadership positions. In 1996, he was elected President of the 7,000-member Allegheny County Bar Association, and prior to that he was chosen as the President of the PA Trial Lawyers Association, Western PA Chapter. Mr. Gismondi currently serves as the Chairman of the Medical Malpractice Section of the PA Association for Justice. He is a member of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County and served as President in 2013. He is also an invited member of the American College of Trial Lawyers, the nation’s most prestigious group of courtroom attorneys.
Mr. Gismondi is one of the state’s best-known speakers at conferences and seminars designed to teach other lawyers about personal injury law. He has been invited to speak at well over 100 such events throughout Pennsylvania.
In addition to his full-time practice of law, Mr. Gismondi is actively involved at the University of Pittsburgh. Since 1985, he has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law, teaching a weekly course entitled “Trial Advocacy.” More recently, with his active support and assistance, the Law School established the “John P. Gismondi Civil Litigation Certificate Program,” a unique curriculum designed to provide special training to law students who wish to become courtroom attorneys. In 2008, the Law School named Mr. Gismondi as the recipient of its “Distinguished Alumnus” award. In 2012, the university at large named him a “Legacy Laureate,” a select honor reserved for only its most prominent graduates.
Mr. Gismondi makes his home in Pittsburgh with his wife, Lisa, and their three children, Maria, Tory, and Justin.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Pennsylvania, 1978
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 1978
- Law Review: University of Pittsburgh Law Review, Member, 1977 - 1978
- University of Pittsburgh
- B.A. magna cum laude - 1975
- Honors: With Highest Honors
- Speakers, Personal Injury Law
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Trial Advocacy since 1985
Honors and Awards
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubble with Highest Rating, Legal Ability and Personal Qualities
- Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer”
- "Distinguished Alumnus" Award, 2008
- Top 50 Lawyers in Pittsburgh, 2005 - 2014
- Top 100 Lawyers in Pennsylvania, 2010 - 2014
- “Lifetime Achievement Award”, The Legal Intelligencer, 2013
- “Best Lawyers in America”
- “Legacy Laureate”, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, Member
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, Western Chapter, President, 1987 - 1988
- Allegheny County Bar Association, President, 1996 - 1997
- Trial Advocacy Foundation of Pennsylvania, Chairman, 1988 - 1991
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Medical Malpractice Section, Chairman
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Member
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, President, 2013
Past Employment Positions
- Federal District Court, Law Clerk
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania, Law Clerk , 1978 - 1981
- Gismondi & Margolis, P.C., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Member