Many brain injury cases that are a result of errors occurring during surgical procedures. One such case has now led to a $1.9 million verdict for the widow of a man that died three days after surgery - presumably due to brain damage suffered as a result of errors that occurred during the procedure.
There's an interesting and somewhat disturbing story about how one particular doctor claims to have learned how to treat addiction by using a controversial procedure. The doctor also claims that the procedure can be used in helping individuals that have suffered concussions and head trauma. Former NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar has even attested to the success of this doctor's treatment known as "rapid detox" for ridding him of headaches, insomnia and slurred speech.
It seems that a mother undergoing a Cesarean section received too much anesthesia that ultimately resulted in brain damage. After two hours of labor, the woman was given an epidural. It appears, however, that the epidural somehow became dislodged without the knowledge of the staff, and the medical providers then decided to administer spinal anesthesia because the epidural was not working.
A Pennsylvania man with a history of heart disease was administered general anesthesia during cataract surgery and subsequently died. The eye doctor performing the surgery has now been sued for medical malpractice as a result of the man's death.
A Pennsylvania nurse anesthetist was found negligent after a patient suffered second-degree burns to the larynx, face and chest during surgery. The nurse administered additional oxygen without first informing the surgeon of what steps had been taken, and the surgeon then activated an electrical device that caused a fire.
A recurrent problem has occurred in a Pennsylvania hospital resulting in patients being administered too much medication. Such a medication error led to two patients receiving approximately ten times more medication than was prescribed.
Something as simple as a misplaced tube during surgery resulted in the death of a woman due to brain injury. It appears that an anesthesiologist did not note that the oxygen tube had moved during the surgical procedure and the woman was deprived of oxygen while the anesthesia was administered.
It has long been known that there are dangers anytime a patient goes under anesthesia. However, the dangers of brain injury to patients in our Pennsylvania hospitals may be even more pronounced that previously imagined.
The administration of anesthesia can result in all sorts of errors including brain trauma, and Pittsburgh hospitals must always take care during any surgery to insure brain injury or death does not occur. Many such errors were preventable if instructions and procedures were in place for emergency staff that could easily have been understood and followed.