A 17-year old girl underwent wisdom teeth surgery, went into a coma and then died 10 days later. It is believed that the young girl's brain was deprived of oxygen at the time that the surgery was going on and this resulted in the teenager suffering from brain damage.
Many brain injury cases that are a result of errors occurring during surgical procedures. One such case has now led to a $1.9 million verdict for the widow of a man that died three days after surgery - presumably due to brain damage suffered as a result of errors that occurred during the procedure.
A mother is claiming that the failure to diagnose her daughter's viral meningitis has now led to the girl being brain damaged. By bringing a lawsuit against the doctor, the woman says she hopes there will be more awareness concerning meningitis, and that doctors will be urged to perform more spinal taps if a patient exhibits symptoms of the disease.
Wherever birth injury cases are held involving the accusation of medical mistake, it will likely be sometime before the matter is finally resolved. In a neighboring state of Pennsylvania, a verdict of $13.9 million dollars was returned, the verdict was later reduced to $9.7 million by the court, and the attorney for the doctor expected to pay the verdict is now attempting to have the judge replaced from the case as pertains to a variety of post-verdict issues that still require sorting out.
There's an interesting and somewhat disturbing story about how one particular doctor claims to have learned how to treat addiction by using a controversial procedure. The doctor also claims that the procedure can be used in helping individuals that have suffered concussions and head trauma. Former NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar has even attested to the success of this doctor's treatment known as "rapid detox" for ridding him of headaches, insomnia and slurred speech.
discipline these medical professionals. Even after large medical malpractice verdicts have been returned, doctors often retain their same positions and can be guilty of additional medical mistakes.
It seems that a mother undergoing a Cesarean section received too much anesthesia that ultimately resulted in brain damage. After two hours of labor, the woman was given an epidural. It appears, however, that the epidural somehow became dislodged without the knowledge of the staff, and the medical providers then decided to administer spinal anesthesia because the epidural was not working.
Medical malpractice cases often come down to a simple mistake. In a hospital in Canada, a woman undergoing treatment for Crohn's disease, was apparently administered the wrong medicine that resulted in her suffering brain damage.
A Pennsylvania man with a history of heart disease was administered general anesthesia during cataract surgery and subsequently died. The eye doctor performing the surgery has now been sued for medical malpractice as a result of the man's death.
A doctor recently testified at a medical malpractice trial about the actions of another physician. That physician apparently had removed bone marrow from one portion of the patient's body and injected this marrow into woman's circulatory system and brain. The testifying doctor apparently was shocked by what he heard, but the other physician let the doctor know that he had "good luck" with this procedure.